Monday, March 10, 2008

Its almost the middle of March! Yay!

Hi there, things have been going well so far this month. Its been a sad month, with our first ramp ceremony. I'm not going to jinx us and say that it will hopefully be the last. Sadly, we know there will be more, but I know that we will do absolutely everything possible if they come into us at the hospital. Our pace has slowed a bit and that is a good thing, its been a good chance to get in and get ourselves settled in, and organized and on our feet. I've been off sick the past few days, finally caught the bug that everyone else seems to have had, I think I slept 36hrs the other day. yikes! But before that I started my gym routine, which has been a nice release. So all is well. Time is going by quickly and I like that. I've started to make plans for our trip in June to Santorini. We are staying in the hotel we'd stayed at when we were on my HLTA from Kabul in 2005, so we are pumped to go back to one of our favorite haunts, and this time we'll do some day trips to other islands, and just relax and take it easy. I'm pretty excited, and so is Derek.
He's doing well in Jamaica, living in the jungle, we've talked a few times. He had a good birthday on Sat. The big 32! I keep teasing him that he is well into his 30's and I'm just barely 30. haha! Poor guy. But they made a cake for him, (although it said happy 33 on it heehee), and they all sang Happy Birthday to him. So that is good.
So I'm not sure if you all have heard yet, but the news is out, Elizabeth and Rob (sister and brother-in-law) are expecting! They are due Oct 1! I am pretty excited! I get to be an auntie again! (Well, Brit, you are more like a little sister than niece though!) I think we were all pretty surprised at the news! I think noone was more surprised than Elizabeth and Rob themselves! haha! I'm super excited at the news, and am just really hoping that I'll be home in time. It would be horrible to miss the birth of our new family edition, but I'm preparing myself for that possibility, especially if she goes into pre-term labour. But she won't, Eli is super healthy, and is listening to her body (after much badgering from all ha ha!), so we'll pray that all goes well and that I can be there to help out. Since Rob doesn't do well with body fluids or functions, I'm hoping to be the stand by for the big day! I'm excited to have another baby to buy shoes for! The plan is still to come home and start trying ourselves, so hopefully if all goes well, our kids won't be too far apart in age. But I won't count my eggs before the rooster and hen even get to see each other! ha ha
Anyway, all is well here. I'm doing good. Happy the time is passing quickly.
I can't talk too much about the patients we care for, or any particular cases, for obvious operational security matters. Plus, you don't really need to hear about the gore I see on a regular basis. It will just scar you. But just have a drink for me when you are out!
I hear that Ontario has retarded amounts of snow! Craziness! I'm kinda glad I'm not there to shovel it! ha ha. Derek feels the same! He's hoping it will all be gone by the time he gets home!
Talk to you all soon.
Mary Ann

4 comments:

Crimson Rambler said...

It is so good to hear from you, Mary Ann, and to know you are "all right so far" -- we'll be watching the CBC feature on the base hospital tonight and hoping for glimpses of folks we know and love!

Anonymous said...

It was really cool, Cara and I got to see your base on TV tonight. Very interesting and crazy how many major trauma's go through there. Love you and we are thinking of you.

John And Cara

Crimson Rambler said...

"what anonymous said," Mary Ann. And now we have "visuals" in our minds when we read your blog and your emails, and can picture you at work, doing what you do where you are. We are getting a CARE package ready here to send along -- I'll tell you when we mail it. Meantime you are in our hearts and our prayers.

Mary Ann Gilchrist said...

Thanks for the comments! I am glad that you enjoyed the special. I haven't seen it yet, but have heard all about it! I'll watch it when I get home. Things are going well! Thanks for writing, its always nice to hear from home!
Love you all, MA