Saturday, March 1, 2008

A new month! 7 more to go!

Well here it is March 1st already. Hard to believe, where does the time go! Its been a fast 10 days and hard to believe that ten days have pasted since I got on the ground. I know that the rest of the tour will go by this quickly, and I'm keeping myself pre-occupied with work, and hanging out with friends who are not working at the hospital. Its nice to have some friends that you don't live, eat and work with, in a few months we'll be all sick of each other, which is normal, so I'm starting out with trying to have a bit of my own time. I am no longer in a room alone, I have two dutch roomies! The Dutch OR team is here, they are very nice, and have been here previously so they know what they are in for. I'm settling into my room and routine well though, and am very happy to be working at the bedside providing patient care. Derek is in Jamaica now, and has been putting in some pretty retarded long hours by the sounds of it getting the camp up and running and put together. We haven't chatted since he got there but I am hoping to catch him tonight (your time, tomorrow morning my time!) The time change is still throwing me for a bit too. I think its 10 1/2 hrs different from Ontario. Or something like that. I'm missing the puppies alot but mom has been able to send me some pictures of them up there, sounds like they are keeping mom busy too!
Well, things are going well at the hospital, I think we were all hoping Prince Harry would stop by for a visit before he left, but alas, the stars weren't ruling in our favour!haha! But its been busy, a few interesting cases, a few heartbreaking cases, of course, but its nice to feel like we are contributing. And I'm ok taking care of the Afghan Army and Police guys, since it means that they are fighting, and our fellow Canadians are taking a back seat, which I realize isn't always the case. But it still helps rationalize taking care of people who sometimes are not the friendliest or respectful towards women. But so far so good.
Anyway, so things are good, thanks again for all the emails and I will try to get back to you all soon.
Lots of love,
Mary Ann

2 comments:

Crimson Rambler said...

Thinking of you with a particular ache this morning when I saw the news from A'stan.

Mary Ann Gilchrist said...

Thank you, your thoughts and prayers are always appreciated. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to visit, we had a few more things to do on our last day than I had imagined and by the time we even looked at the time, it would have been an unreasonable hour to call. Next time though! We miss you and hope all is well at home, with your family and with the parish. Please send my thanks for all the prayers, somedays you can just tell.
Thank you! Lots of love as well!
Mary Ann
xxoo